Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mixing two materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate the behavior of a model made of a material which is a mixture of two materials available in the library. The materials are mixed in unequal proportions.

I'm able to calculate the basic properties of the new material such as the density but properties such as elasticity matrix and coupling matrix I have no idea how to. Is there any way comsol can do the math for me and come up with all the properties that piezoelectric materials need? Please help.

Thank you

7 Replies Last Post 14 sept. 2015, 06:16 UTC−4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 juil. 2011, 12:15 UTC−4
Unlike density, the elasticity matrix for a mixture of materials cannot be accurately predicted from the properties of the constituents. However for homogeneous mixtures (small characteristic length of particles, uniform composition) of elastic materials, a good estimate of the elastic properties is obtained by using the “rule of mixtures” to evaluate Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio (just like it applies to density).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Unlike density, the elasticity matrix for a mixture of materials cannot be accurately predicted from the properties of the constituents. However for homogeneous mixtures (small characteristic length of particles, uniform composition) of elastic materials, a good estimate of the elastic properties is obtained by using the “rule of mixtures” to evaluate Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio (just like it applies to density). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 juil. 2011, 01:32 UTC−4
Thank you for the reply.
What I'm trying to make is a composite piezoelectric material. So I do need to find elasticity matrix and coupling matrix for the mixture.
Thank you for the reply. What I'm trying to make is a composite piezoelectric material. So I do need to find elasticity matrix and coupling matrix for the mixture.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 janv. 2012, 09:24 UTC−5
Dear Ajey Venkatraman!
I have read your question about Mixing two materials.
This is the problem that we are caring. We are doing about the PZT material, and we want to mix two material available in the library. However, we do not know how to do?

Could you help me to send to solve this problem? Could you upload or sent for us the file that you did?
Our email: votungbeo@gmail.com

We are waiting from you as soon.
Best regards,
Vo Thanh Tung.
Dear Ajey Venkatraman! I have read your question about Mixing two materials. This is the problem that we are caring. We are doing about the PZT material, and we want to mix two material available in the library. However, we do not know how to do? Could you help me to send to solve this problem? Could you upload or sent for us the file that you did? Our email: votungbeo@gmail.com We are waiting from you as soon. Best regards, Vo Thanh Tung.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 déc. 2012, 04:26 UTC−5
I have a sample file about mixing 2 materials.
I have a sample file about mixing 2 materials.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 déc. 2012, 07:43 UTC−5
Hi Vu Dong!
Maybe we could ask you a question? You could send for us your email or not?
Thanks your reply.
Hi Vu Dong! Maybe we could ask you a question? You could send for us your email or not? Thanks your reply.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mars 2013, 22:02 UTC−4
Dear Dr. Tung !
Sorry for submitting lately.
mega1280@gmail.com.
That's my email address. We also ran into "Piezo problems". Please contact to me after you get my contact.
Thank you !
Dear Dr. Tung ! Sorry for submitting lately. mega1280@gmail.com. That's my email address. We also ran into "Piezo problems". Please contact to me after you get my contact. Thank you !

Posted: 9 years ago 14 sept. 2015, 06:16 UTC−4
I have read the discussion on mixing of two available materials in comsol software . I am working on piezoelectric problem also in which a mixture (water (in liquid state)+ water(in solid state in tension)) is required these are separately available in comsol library. please sir help me thanks

regard,
imran shah

I have read the discussion on mixing of two available materials in comsol software . I am working on piezoelectric problem also in which a mixture (water (in liquid state)+ water(in solid state in tension)) is required these are separately available in comsol library. please sir help me thanks regard, imran shah

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.