Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

V4.2 - how to find the mass of a domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Please, how can one get this trivial information?

8 Replies Last Post 26 févr. 2016, 10:28 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 06:52 UTC−4
You just integrate the density.
You just integrate the density.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 10:49 UTC−4
Jean, where from do I have access to the "Integrate density" procedure?
Jean, where from do I have access to the "Integrate density" procedure?

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 14:18 UTC−4
You compute the integral of density using the same tools that you would use to integrate any other quantity, i.e. a model coupling (under Definnitions) of the integration type. If you've never used model couplings, you'll probably want to read on them in the User's Guide manual first.
You compute the integral of density using the same tools that you would use to integrate any other quantity, i.e. a model coupling (under Definnitions) of the integration type. If you've never used model couplings, you'll probably want to read on them in the User's Guide manual first.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 14:25 UTC−4
I should add that if you are only interested in computing the mass as a postprocessing step (i.e. if you don't need to use that quantity in your model definition), then another, easier, approach consists in using Results>Derived Values to compute the integral.
I should add that if you are only interested in computing the mass as a postprocessing step (i.e. if you don't need to use that quantity in your model definition), then another, easier, approach consists in using Results>Derived Values to compute the integral.

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 juin 2011, 02:22 UTC−4
Jean, thanks for taking the trouble to answer my question. I've tried to follow your advice and got a mass of zero (see attached file). Would you care to look at it, please?

From my posted questions it is easy to see that I'm not familiar with Cosmos yet, although I was keeping an eye on its development since it was just a PDE component of Matlab, then Femlab, etc.

In the engineering community we've been waiting for ages to get the flexibility Cosmos now offers. However, we need some easy to use basic tools for model verification, such as for mass, volume, inertia, etc., which I hope you guys are going to implement.

George
Jean, thanks for taking the trouble to answer my question. I've tried to follow your advice and got a mass of zero (see attached file). Would you care to look at it, please? From my posted questions it is easy to see that I'm not familiar with Cosmos yet, although I was keeping an eye on its development since it was just a PDE component of Matlab, then Femlab, etc. In the engineering community we've been waiting for ages to get the flexibility Cosmos now offers. However, we need some easy to use basic tools for model verification, such as for mass, volume, inertia, etc., which I hope you guys are going to implement. George

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 juin 2011, 06:52 UTC−4
I am on vacation and without access to the software, but judging from your file name it looks like you might be dealing with a shell. In that case, you would want to perform an integration of the thickness times the density on the appropriate manifold.
If you need more further instructions regarding COMSOL, please contact COMSOL tech support.
I am on vacation and without access to the software, but judging from your file name it looks like you might be dealing with a shell. In that case, you would want to perform an integration of the thickness times the density on the appropriate manifold. If you need more further instructions regarding COMSOL, please contact COMSOL tech support.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 juin 2011, 10:07 UTC−4
Thank you.
Thank you.

Posted: 8 years ago 26 févr. 2016, 10:28 UTC−5
Hi

1. In Comsol Definitions, select Integration.
2.In Geometric entity level, select Domain (specify the domains that you like compute)
3.copy the operator name, and paste in the variables expression, in my case intop1(acpz.rho), because I work with acoustic piezoelectric interaction (acpz)

Regards
Hi 1. In Comsol Definitions, select Integration. 2.In Geometric entity level, select Domain (specify the domains that you like compute) 3.copy the operator name, and paste in the variables expression, in my case intop1(acpz.rho), because I work with acoustic piezoelectric interaction (acpz) Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.