Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Selecting internal boundaries as heat flux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my model, there is a photoacoustic dye in a tube which is within a water tank. The dye is excited by a pulsed laser due to which the temperature of the dye rises. Then, the laser is switched off. Eventually, the heat dissipates from the dye to the surrounding water. [Fig. 1]

I am trying to plot the rate of heat dissipation or temperature drop over time.

My problem is I am not able to select the boundary of the tube as the heat flux [Fig. 2] for the laser. It is showing as not applicable [Fig. 3]. It seems for heat flux only the external boundaries of the geometry can be selected.

Is there a way I can select this boundary using conditinal geometry or by any other way?

Please suggest what should I do?

1 Reply Last Post 6 mars 2018, 23:39 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 6 mars 2018, 23:39 UTC−5
Updated: 6 years ago 6 mars 2018, 23:41 UTC−5

Replying my own question in case it helps others.

Got my help from Comsol tech support.

"The heat flux can only be use for external boundaries. The heat flux through internal boundaries can be automatically computed. If you want to add heat flux on internal boundary you can use boundary heat source node."

It worked for me.

Replying my own question in case it helps others. Got my help from Comsol tech support. "The heat flux can only be use for external boundaries. The heat flux through internal boundaries can be automatically computed. If you want to add heat flux on internal boundary you can use boundary heat source node." It worked for me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.