Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Image charge on boundary due to moving particle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The structure of my model is fairly simple: 1)I have a pipe of 1mm diameter and 30cm length 2)Fluid flows through the pipe with a mean speed of 0.2cm/s (laminar) 3) this fluid exerts a drag on a charged particle 4)the study is time-dependent

I have simulated the above without any trouble. However, in reality there will be an image charge induced on the pipe. This image charge will exert a force on the particle. The question that I need to answer is: will this force cause the particle to strike the wall, or will it cause the particle to converge and move towards the center of the pipe? I have tried several approaches to adding this image charge to the simulation but I have not been able to achieve any realistic solution.

Recently I have tried setting the pipe to floating potential and using a bidirectionally coupled solver but this produces a solution in which the pipe and particle seemingly don't see each other.

I'm thinking that I'm using the wrong boundary conditions because the bidirectionally coupled study seems to be exactly the approach one would want to take with this problem.

Any thoughts?

0 Replies Last Post 21 déc. 2017, 13:48 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jacob Watkins

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.