Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Releasing particles from edge with variables from a previous study

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a model in which I use charged particle tracing in the first study to find the trajectory of an electron in a magnetic field. From this study, I can export data giving me the electron trajectory including local velocities tangent to the trajectory at defined step times. In a second study, I am using geometrical optics in order to release rays tangent to the electron trajectory. The nature of the simulation requires that I release the rays in cones which unfortunately restricts my ability to asign any sort of power distribution to the individual cones.

Now I am instead drawing an interpolated curve in the geometry using the electron trajectory data and I'm attempting to release my rays from this edge. The problem now is that I cannot figure out how to assign given rays the tangential velocities required. Is it impossible to pass auxiliary dependent variables from one study to another? Would it be possible to use an edge probe to create a table of these velocities which I could then use in the release from edge feature in my second study?

Thank you very much for any help.

-------------------
Nick

0 Replies Last Post 5 déc. 2017, 19:42 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicholas Goldring

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.