Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Periodic boundary condition plus periodic port results do not match with scattered field simulation with scattering boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I am designing a periodic reflective structure in RF module of Comsol 5.1. First, I have applied scattered field simulation, where I specified periodic boundary conditions on the sides and scattering boundary condition on the front and back sides.

Then, I have tried full field simulation with periodic boundary conditions on the sides and periodic port on the front side.

But, in terms of reflection/absorption results, I am getting different intensities. Comparing to scattered field simulation, I am getting higher intensity in absorption when I am using periodic ports.

So, should I use periodic port with PML to get equivalent result as scattered field simulation? And, also I have another concern that if the reflected wave polarization does not match with your incident polarization (defining at input port), does preiodic port simulation result give you ambiguous result or not? If I need comprehensive reflected wave magnitude and phase information, which simulation process (scattered field simulation/ full field simulation with port) should I use?

I will really appreciate any suggestions or guidance in this regard.

Thank you, Sharmistha.

0 Replies Last Post 30 oct. 2017, 13:27 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sharmistha Pal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.