Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Randomly distributed Cracks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I want to model randomly distributed micro-cracks in a porous media (concrete) for my thesis.
I search a lot, but only find papers with 'regular' cracks:

www.comsol.asia/paper/download/83515/perko_paper.pdf
www.comsol.com/paper/modelling-flow-through-fractures-in-porous-media-8362

These cracks naturally exist in every concrete specimen and will extend during freeze-thaw cycles , yield to reducing mechanical properties of concrete.

Any idea would be appreciated!

2 Replies Last Post 14 juil. 2017, 02:05 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 13 juil. 2017, 16:22 UTC−4
Hello Ali,
You can create a randomized geometry using a method. See this blog post:
www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-create-a-randomized-geometry-using-model-methods/
Best,
Jeff
Hello Ali, You can create a randomized geometry using a method. See this blog post: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-create-a-randomized-geometry-using-model-methods/ Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 14 juil. 2017, 02:05 UTC−4
Dear Jeff,
Thanks a lot for your responce.
I think modelling is a bit more difficult for cracks.
If we assume the cracks as a small cylinder, the 'orientation' should be added to random variables.
Although I don't know how logical is considering crack as a small cylinder.
Dear Jeff, Thanks a lot for your responce. I think modelling is a bit more difficult for cracks. If we assume the cracks as a small cylinder, the 'orientation' should be added to random variables. Although I don't know how logical is considering crack as a small cylinder.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.