Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,
i got following error several times with different models while meshing.
'failed to respect boundary element on geometry edge'.
may i know the reason behind this?

14 Replies Last Post 26 déc. 2014, 03:47 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mars 2011, 07:00 UTC−5
Hi

I have noticed this error when I mesh complex domains, particularly those with topology looping around an object (torus like).
My way around is to:
1) cut the domain into simpler parts and mesh by sections
2) mesh edges or faces around critical region
3) start from centre outwards, and start with parts containing details in fine mesh then use coarser mesh around

Mostly I get around like that, sometimes I must cut further my geometry into smaller parts, by adding internal boundaries

Note: use latest version, the mesher handler is one of the features improving with the new releases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have noticed this error when I mesh complex domains, particularly those with topology looping around an object (torus like). My way around is to: 1) cut the domain into simpler parts and mesh by sections 2) mesh edges or faces around critical region 3) start from centre outwards, and start with parts containing details in fine mesh then use coarser mesh around Mostly I get around like that, sometimes I must cut further my geometry into smaller parts, by adding internal boundaries Note: use latest version, the mesher handler is one of the features improving with the new releases -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mars 2011, 11:41 UTC−5
Thanks a lot ,sir.
Thanks a lot ,sir.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mars 2011, 15:04 UTC−5
I tried to make the modifications mentioned.But the same problem still persists.I am attaching the model with this post.It would really be helpful to get some help on the same.Best regards,Thanks in advance.
I tried to make the modifications mentioned.But the same problem still persists.I am attaching the model with this post.It would really be helpful to get some help on the same.Best regards,Thanks in advance.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mars 2011, 02:01 UTC−5
Hi

with such a symmetric geometry you are better off working only in 1 quadrant (1/4 or even 1/8) of the geometry and then revolve your system or work with mirror operations. Also with such thin features you must mesh rather dense to avoid that the elements inter penetrates.

Also you should put a cylinder all around your fine model.

Finally I would use a sphere as external air boundary, and not a cube, you have less corners

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi with such a symmetric geometry you are better off working only in 1 quadrant (1/4 or even 1/8) of the geometry and then revolve your system or work with mirror operations. Also with such thin features you must mesh rather dense to avoid that the elements inter penetrates. Also you should put a cylinder all around your fine model. Finally I would use a sphere as external air boundary, and not a cube, you have less corners -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 sept. 2011, 04:43 UTC−4

Hi

I have noticed this error when I mesh complex domains, particularly those with topology looping around an object (torus like).
My way around is to:
3) start from centre outwards, and start with parts containing details in fine mesh then use coarser mesh around

Mostly I get around like that, sometimes I must cut further my geometry into smaller parts, by adding internal boundaries

Note: use latest version, the mesher handler is one of the features improving with the new releases

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi everybody,
I've got this problem: "Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face".
I've imported the geometry in a CAD format and it's quite complex.
I decided to convert the geometry into COMSOL format, before making 'Form Union'.
I meshed all the boundaries, playing with the element sizes and toggling between General Physics/Fluid Dynamics/Plasma.
However, when I try to mesh the volumes, COMSOL gives me the error message that I stated above.
Should I edit the CAD geometries? Isn't there any other solution to get around this?
I thought that, once the external boundaries of an object was meshed, I was pretty straightforward to mesh its inside!
Thanks for any help!
Prisca
[QUOTE] Hi I have noticed this error when I mesh complex domains, particularly those with topology looping around an object (torus like). My way around is to: 1) cut the domain into simpler parts and mesh by sections 2) mesh edges or faces around critical region 3) start from centre outwards, and start with parts containing details in fine mesh then use coarser mesh around Mostly I get around like that, sometimes I must cut further my geometry into smaller parts, by adding internal boundaries Note: use latest version, the mesher handler is one of the features improving with the new releases -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi everybody, I've got this problem: "Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face". I've imported the geometry in a CAD format and it's quite complex. I decided to convert the geometry into COMSOL format, before making 'Form Union'. I meshed all the boundaries, playing with the element sizes and toggling between General Physics/Fluid Dynamics/Plasma. However, when I try to mesh the volumes, COMSOL gives me the error message that I stated above. Should I edit the CAD geometries? Isn't there any other solution to get around this? I thought that, once the external boundaries of an object was meshed, I was pretty straightforward to mesh its inside! Thanks for any help! Prisca

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 sept. 2011, 04:44 UTC−4

Hi

My way around is to:

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi everybody,
I've got this problem: "Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face".
I've imported the geometry in a CAD format and it's quite complex.
I decided to convert the geometry into COMSOL format, before making 'Form Union'.
I meshed all the boundaries, playing with the element sizes and toggling between General Physics/Fluid Dynamics/Plasma.
However, when I try to mesh the volumes, COMSOL gives me the error message that I stated above.
Should I edit the CAD geometries? Isn't there any other solution to get around this?
I thought that, once the external boundaries of an object was meshed, I was pretty straightforward to mesh its inside!
Thanks for any help!
Prisca
[QUOTE] Hi I have noticed this error when I mesh complex domains, particularly those with topology looping around an object (torus like). My way around is to: 1) cut the domain into simpler parts and mesh by sections 2) mesh edges or faces around critical region 3) start from centre outwards, and start with parts containing details in fine mesh then use coarser mesh around Mostly I get around like that, sometimes I must cut further my geometry into smaller parts, by adding internal boundaries Note: use latest version, the mesher handler is one of the features improving with the new releases -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi everybody, I've got this problem: "Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face". I've imported the geometry in a CAD format and it's quite complex. I decided to convert the geometry into COMSOL format, before making 'Form Union'. I meshed all the boundaries, playing with the element sizes and toggling between General Physics/Fluid Dynamics/Plasma. However, when I try to mesh the volumes, COMSOL gives me the error message that I stated above. Should I edit the CAD geometries? Isn't there any other solution to get around this? I thought that, once the external boundaries of an object was meshed, I was pretty straightforward to mesh its inside! Thanks for any help! Prisca

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 sept. 2011, 15:19 UTC−4
Hi

normally COMSOL tells you on which face/edge Id it fails, locate the items and try a manual meshing of the face or edge first then et COMSOl continue, often it works out. If this is for several edges/faces, you must iterate trough all until you have a correct mesh.

Defeaturing is often easier in the CAD, be sure holes/bolts threads ... , fillets and champfers are reduced to a minimum in the CAD BEFORE you load it into COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally COMSOL tells you on which face/edge Id it fails, locate the items and try a manual meshing of the face or edge first then et COMSOl continue, often it works out. If this is for several edges/faces, you must iterate trough all until you have a correct mesh. Defeaturing is often easier in the CAD, be sure holes/bolts threads ... , fillets and champfers are reduced to a minimum in the CAD BEFORE you load it into COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 janv. 2014, 09:54 UTC−5
Ivar, you're the best!

Just found this old thread and it really helped me resolve the aforementioned problem. Dividing my domains into several smaller domains and then meshing them successively using multiple "Free Thetraedal" steps worked instantly.

Kind regards
David
Ivar, you're the best! Just found this old thread and it really helped me resolve the aforementioned problem. Dividing my domains into several smaller domains and then meshing them successively using multiple "Free Thetraedal" steps worked instantly. Kind regards David

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mars 2014, 04:00 UTC−4
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this thread might be able to help me with a different mesh error I have been having - I also have multiple domains, and since they are very different sizes I created three different meshes for four domains (two domains are in the same size range). I keep getting the following error:

No mesh on domain 3
in geometry 1, mesh case 0.
No mesh on domains 2 4
in geometry 1, mesh case 0.
Not all domains are meshed.

I created the three meshes and hit "build all" for each one (though I think even once would have probably been enough?) but for some reason it seems to think only the first domain is meshed.

Does anyone recognize this error and know what may be causing it?

Thank you,
Shoshana
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on this thread might be able to help me with a different mesh error I have been having - I also have multiple domains, and since they are very different sizes I created three different meshes for four domains (two domains are in the same size range). I keep getting the following error: No mesh on domain 3 in geometry 1, mesh case 0. No mesh on domains 2 4 in geometry 1, mesh case 0. Not all domains are meshed. I created the three meshes and hit "build all" for each one (though I think even once would have probably been enough?) but for some reason it seems to think only the first domain is meshed. Does anyone recognize this error and know what may be causing it? Thank you, Shoshana

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2014, 18:13 UTC−4
Hi,
A similar thing happened to me and I found out there are actually some very small domains in my model that I didn't intend to create! They were tiny domains between two domains that were ALMOST touching.
Under the 'mesh' node, go to where the errors are explained and click on the domain number in the box; it'll show you where the domain is and make sure there are no hidden domains that you're missing.
Could you also attach your geometry so I can see how it looks like?

Best,
Dana
Hi, A similar thing happened to me and I found out there are actually some very small domains in my model that I didn't intend to create! They were tiny domains between two domains that were ALMOST touching. Under the 'mesh' node, go to where the errors are explained and click on the domain number in the box; it'll show you where the domain is and make sure there are no hidden domains that you're missing. Could you also attach your geometry so I can see how it looks like? Best, Dana

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 avr. 2014, 03:18 UTC−4
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response - I actually recently figured out what the problem was. I knew what domains I had but I created individual meshes for each one, and COMSOL apparently doesn't like that. The solution was to use the same mesh node for all domains and add one "free tetrahedral" node, and then under that node I added my three different size nodes for the three different areas. That was it understood that everything was meshed as one action, but I was still able to do different sized meshes in different domains.

Thanks again!
Shoshana
Hi, Thanks so much for your response - I actually recently figured out what the problem was. I knew what domains I had but I created individual meshes for each one, and COMSOL apparently doesn't like that. The solution was to use the same mesh node for all domains and add one "free tetrahedral" node, and then under that node I added my three different size nodes for the three different areas. That was it understood that everything was meshed as one action, but I was still able to do different sized meshes in different domains. Thanks again! Shoshana

Posted: 10 years ago 6 nov. 2014, 01:08 UTC−5
Hello,

I am making a model of a microchip that has multiple layers. To be particular, it has a silicon layer, an oxide layer on top of that, followed by nitride, and two more. They are essentially cuboids placed on top of each other. I am trying to mesh each domain before I add the next one on top. However, when I try to mesh the second domain (oxide), I get the error message : The face is locked by adjacent domain mesh and cannot be remeshed. Is there a way around this? Thank you in advance for your help!!
Hello, I am making a model of a microchip that has multiple layers. To be particular, it has a silicon layer, an oxide layer on top of that, followed by nitride, and two more. They are essentially cuboids placed on top of each other. I am trying to mesh each domain before I add the next one on top. However, when I try to mesh the second domain (oxide), I get the error message : The face is locked by adjacent domain mesh and cannot be remeshed. Is there a way around this? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Posted: 10 years ago 22 nov. 2014, 13:07 UTC−5
Thanks for posting your solution. I had the same issue and that fixed it!
Thanks for posting your solution. I had the same issue and that fixed it!

Posted: 10 years ago 26 déc. 2014, 03:47 UTC−5
Hello G S

Could you please explain step-by-step how you did the meshing sequence?

Thanks
Hello G S Could you please explain step-by-step how you did the meshing sequence? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.