Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deposited Beam Power node under Heat Transfer module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
Can anyone provide me with some example on how to use deposited beam power node under heat transfer in solids interface. I am trying to model a moving laser beam on a metallic plate.

2 Replies Last Post 11 sept. 2017, 14:41 UTC−4
Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 29 juin 2017, 09:18 UTC−4
Hello Muhammad,
Although this example actually doesn't use the deposited beam power feature, it does show you how to model a laser heat source moving across a surface:
www.comsol.com/model/laser-heating-of-a-silicon-wafer-13835
After you've seen that example, you'll probably find it quite easy to apply the same techniques in the deposited beam power feature interface.
Best Regards,
Hello Muhammad, Although this example actually doesn't use the deposited beam power feature, it does show you how to model a laser heat source moving across a surface: https://www.comsol.com/model/laser-heating-of-a-silicon-wafer-13835 After you've seen that example, you'll probably find it quite easy to apply the same techniques in the deposited beam power feature interface. Best Regards,

Posted: 7 years ago 11 sept. 2017, 14:41 UTC−4
Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have seen the model provided by comsol "Heating of Silicon Wafer". I tried to implement the same principle in my model. The problem I am facing is that I should get temperature in range of 2000 or 2500 Kelvins but instead I am getting temperatures in range of 21000 Kelvins. I have tried to contact comsol support a couple of times but couldn't get much help.
I am doing my Masters thesis for which I have to make a model describing Laser Metal Deposition process. For now, I am only interested in temperature profile of the process. The velocity of laser beam is defined through the waveform function where I consider that I take laser beam 7 seconds to move back and forth i.e., from -35 mm to 35 mm. An analytical function is then defining the Laser beam itself as "0.7*p_laser[1/W]*gp1(x-wv1(t))*gp1(y)" where 0.7 describes the fact that 70 % of beam power Efficiency. Then a small area is defined on the geometry because I reduced my mesh size to extremely fine to implement laser beam correctly in this area and to reduce the computational time, I made an area through "work plane 1". I used Ti6Al4V[solid, polished] through COMSOL material library. As for this material, the conductivity is only defined from 0 to 800 Kelvins so I defined myself conductivity above 800 Kelvins for this material by consulting the source "Boivineau, M., et al. "Thermophysical properties of solid and liquid Ti-6Al-4V (TA6V) alloy." International journal of thermophysics 27.2 (2006): 507-529."
I used heat transfer in solids interface. The heat flux node defines the Laser Beam. Heat flux 2,3,4 are defining the cooling process during Laser Metal Deposition. Actually, I was expecting to get temperatures in range 2000 to 2500 Kelvins but with my first few tries, I got temperatures in range of 21000 Kelvins, that's why I put heat transfer coefficient h=10000 for heat flux 2,3,4. The temperature of bottom of plate is fixed at room temperature.
Please help me what should I do? Where am I wrong?
Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I have seen the model provided by comsol "Heating of Silicon Wafer". I tried to implement the same principle in my model. The problem I am facing is that I should get temperature in range of 2000 or 2500 Kelvins but instead I am getting temperatures in range of 21000 Kelvins. I have tried to contact comsol support a couple of times but couldn't get much help. I am doing my Masters thesis for which I have to make a model describing Laser Metal Deposition process. For now, I am only interested in temperature profile of the process. The velocity of laser beam is defined through the waveform function where I consider that I take laser beam 7 seconds to move back and forth i.e., from -35 mm to 35 mm. An analytical function is then defining the Laser beam itself as "0.7*p_laser[1/W]*gp1(x-wv1(t))*gp1(y)" where 0.7 describes the fact that 70 % of beam power Efficiency. Then a small area is defined on the geometry because I reduced my mesh size to extremely fine to implement laser beam correctly in this area and to reduce the computational time, I made an area through "work plane 1". I used Ti6Al4V[solid, polished] through COMSOL material library. As for this material, the conductivity is only defined from 0 to 800 Kelvins so I defined myself conductivity above 800 Kelvins for this material by consulting the source "Boivineau, M., et al. "Thermophysical properties of solid and liquid Ti-6Al-4V (TA6V) alloy." International journal of thermophysics 27.2 (2006): 507-529." I used heat transfer in solids interface. The heat flux node defines the Laser Beam. Heat flux 2,3,4 are defining the cooling process during Laser Metal Deposition. Actually, I was expecting to get temperatures in range 2000 to 2500 Kelvins but with my first few tries, I got temperatures in range of 21000 Kelvins, that's why I put heat transfer coefficient h=10000 for heat flux 2,3,4. The temperature of bottom of plate is fixed at room temperature. Please help me what should I do? Where am I wrong?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.