Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use 3D Surface (Imported) for Cut Plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've attached an image to help explain my situation. I'd like to create a velocity cut plot using a surface (grey-not a domain) that runs down the center of a flow path (green-domain). The surface and flow path geometry is imported (SW-LiveLink). The flow path is not exactly symmetric (inner radius smaller than outer radius at some points) so I'd rather not partition and use symmetry. Using non-domain surfaces to create a cut plot would be a great product enhancement in my opinion if it cannot be done already. I appreciate any help that can be offered. So far it is not as straight forward as I expected. Thanks, -Art

1 Reply Last Post 14 juin 2017, 11:21 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 14 juin 2017, 11:21 UTC−4
Hello Art,
Two ideas:
1/ If the surface does not have to be imported from a CAD package, you could use a Parametric Surface dataset (which could itself point to various functions, including interpolation functions etc)
2/ If the surface has to come from CAD, you could follow the approach I described in this thread: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/145102/ , i.e. use Update solution after modifying the geometry.
I hope these pointers are helpful.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Art, Two ideas: 1/ If the surface does not have to be imported from a CAD package, you could use a Parametric Surface dataset (which could itself point to various functions, including interpolation functions etc) 2/ If the surface has to come from CAD, you could follow the approach I described in this thread: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/145102/ , i.e. use Update solution after modifying the geometry. I hope these pointers are helpful. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.