Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to draw a 3D bended wire in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to analyze the magnetic field of different curvatures of a wire connecting two metal blocks. I would like to build the geometry directly in COMSOL (now it's in AutoCAD). This would give me the freedom to change the geometrical parameters (e.g. the radius of the wire curvature) for different studies. The wire has a thickness t > 0.5 mm. I have attached a sketch of the system (the wire is depicted with red).

Can anyone help me with this?

Furthermore, is there any way to have a parametrized AutoCAD drawing imported in COMSOL, so that one can do a parameter sweep?

Thank you

3 Replies Last Post 8 juin 2017, 07:26 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 7 juin 2017, 08:40 UTC−4
Hi Paul,

Without AutoCAD: sweep a cross-section (drawn in a workplane) along a parametric curve.

With AutoCAD: with LiveLink for AutoCAD ( www.comsol.com/livelink-for-autocad ) you can import a parametrized geometry into COMSOL. It remains parametrized so that you can do a parametric sweep. This requires that AutoCAD and COMSOL be on the same computer so they can "talk" to each other.

Best,
Jeff
Hi Paul, Without AutoCAD: sweep a cross-section (drawn in a workplane) along a parametric curve. With AutoCAD: with LiveLink for AutoCAD ( https://www.comsol.com/livelink-for-autocad ) you can import a parametrized geometry into COMSOL. It remains parametrized so that you can do a parametric sweep. This requires that AutoCAD and COMSOL be on the same computer so they can "talk" to each other. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 8 juin 2017, 07:19 UTC−4
How do you sweep along a parametric curve?

Lasse
How do you sweep along a parametric curve? Lasse

Posted: 7 years ago 8 juin 2017, 07:26 UTC−4
I found it!
I found it!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.