Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Passing Variables Between Studies With a Parametric Sweep

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I ran in to a problem while trying to pass variables between three separate studies. The first study is a thermal stress study that runs a parametric sweep over various lengths of my geometry. The second study is a deformed geometry study that sets "variables not solved for" to be dependent on the first study. Finally, the third study, solid mechanics, sets "variables not solved for" to be dependent on the deformed geometry study.

I realize that sounds a bit confusing but it typically works quite well in making sure that the deformed geometry from the first study can be used in the third study. Unfortunately however, it does not seem to work with a parametric sweep. Within the deformed geometry study, I choose the solution corresponding to the desired parameter but it only seems to pass the first parameter solution on to the third study.

If anyone knows anything about this problem or needs more information please let me know. Thank you.

--
Nick

1 Reply Last Post 28 avr. 2017, 21:15 UTC−4
Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 28 avr. 2017, 21:15 UTC−4
For anyone that may be interested; I tried to go back and run the studies again without a parametric sweep in the first step - this always works for me. This time however, the deformed geometry solver seemed to be permanently changed from my earlier attempt at passing the variables from the parametric sweep. The solver seemed to still want me to make a selection from the referenced solution although the option to choose a solution was gone. In this way, the study did not work to pass the variables.

This probably isn't a problem for most but I just wanted to point it out. Also, it's possible that that there is a solution to this but I couldn't recover that study step. In this case you have to delete and remake the study step or revert to a previous model. I attached a picture to show the difference between the deformed geometry solvers before and after trying to pass variables from a parametric sweep. Thanks for reading.

--
Nick
For anyone that may be interested; I tried to go back and run the studies again without a parametric sweep in the first step - this always works for me. This time however, the deformed geometry solver seemed to be permanently changed from my earlier attempt at passing the variables from the parametric sweep. The solver seemed to still want me to make a selection from the referenced solution although the option to choose a solution was gone. In this way, the study did not work to pass the variables. This probably isn't a problem for most but I just wanted to point it out. Also, it's possible that that there is a solution to this but I couldn't recover that study step. In this case you have to delete and remake the study step or revert to a previous model. I attached a picture to show the difference between the deformed geometry solvers before and after trying to pass variables from a parametric sweep. Thanks for reading. -- Nick

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.