Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using previous solution as initial values

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to get familiar with how to use results from a previous solution as initial conditions in a new solution. To do this I am using a very simple model (see description down below) but I seem to be unable to get it to work.

In the first part of my model I am using a solid mechanics physics where I have a simple square with roller boundary conditions on the right and lower boundaries. The top boundary has a prescribed displacement that depends linearly on time.

After this I use the "Remesh deformed configuration". I then import this mesh as the geometry for my second physics node, which is also solid mechanics. The new geometry is the same as the solution from the first study, so far so good. I use the same roller boundaries but this time I prescribe a time dependent displacement on the left boundary. In this study I set the "Initial values of variables solved for" to User controlled - Solution - Study 1 - Last. However, the stress at time zero is still much lower that the last time step in Study 1.

I would be very greatful for any help on what I might do wrong or if I can do this another way.

Kind regards,
Lisa

3 Replies Last Post 11 avr. 2017, 04:07 UTC−4

Posted: 7 years ago 10 avr. 2017, 09:29 UTC−4
Hello Lisa,

Did you try keeping the two time dependent steps in the same study? I once tried having one study for a stationary step and another study for the time dependent step but that did not work, and when i brought them together it worked. Since you can specify which mesh to use for each study step, perhaps that could work for you.

Regards,

Hristo
Hello Lisa, Did you try keeping the two time dependent steps in the same study? I once tried having one study for a stationary step and another study for the time dependent step but that did not work, and when i brought them together it worked. Since you can specify which mesh to use for each study step, perhaps that could work for you. Regards, Hristo

Posted: 7 years ago 10 avr. 2017, 09:32 UTC−4
Hello Hristo,

Thank you for the suggestion! I will try that and then let you know if it worked.

Lisa
Hello Hristo, Thank you for the suggestion! I will try that and then let you know if it worked. Lisa

Posted: 7 years ago 11 avr. 2017, 04:07 UTC−4

Hello Lisa,

Did you try keeping the two time dependent steps in the same study? I once tried having one study for a stationary step and another study for the time dependent step but that did not work, and when i brought them together it worked. Since you can specify which mesh to use for each study step, perhaps that could work for you.

Regards,

Hristo

Dear Hristo,

Your suggestion did help me with getting the correct initial stresses. Thank you very much. However, with this method the second displacement doesn't seem to be working since nothing is happening. I will continue to investigate this problem but would be very thankful for any more tips that you or someone else might have.

Regards,
Lisa
[QUOTE] Hello Lisa, Did you try keeping the two time dependent steps in the same study? I once tried having one study for a stationary step and another study for the time dependent step but that did not work, and when i brought them together it worked. Since you can specify which mesh to use for each study step, perhaps that could work for you. Regards, Hristo [/QUOTE] Dear Hristo, Your suggestion did help me with getting the correct initial stresses. Thank you very much. However, with this method the second displacement doesn't seem to be working since nothing is happening. I will continue to investigate this problem but would be very thankful for any more tips that you or someone else might have. Regards, Lisa

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.