Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed Velocity on one surface of a part

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D cylinder and need to use a prescribed velocity acting on just the top surface. The part is formed of two imports that have been combined and converted to a solid. I am only able to model the prescribed velocity on the whole part and can't just select one surface.

Is there a way that I can enable individual surfaces to be selected for prescribed functions?

Thanks,
Remi

4 Replies Last Post 3 avr. 2017, 09:12 UTC−4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 31 mars 2017, 09:27 UTC−4
Remi-

You can apply many of these constraints on domains, boundaries, edges, or points.

I think you just need to dig a little deeper into the menu. The name is the same on the feature but make sure you select the appropriate geometric entity level when adding the feature from the Ribbon or by right-clicking on Solid Mechanics in the Model Builder window.

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Remi- You can apply many of these constraints on domains, boundaries, edges, or points. I think you just need to dig a little deeper into the menu. The name is the same on the feature but make sure you select the appropriate geometric entity level when adding the feature from the Ribbon or by right-clicking on Solid Mechanics in the Model Builder window. -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 7 years ago 31 mars 2017, 11:39 UTC−4
Thank you, I am now able to make a prescribed velocity for just one surface however I am still left with the problem of the prescribed velocity overriding the 'free' setting in solid mechanics. The 'free' is overridden by my fixed constraint which is correct as I do not want the fixed constraint to move freely. However I do need to top surface with the prescribed velocity to be able to move. The velocity overriding the 'free' is stopping this from happening.

Thanks,
Remi
Thank you, I am now able to make a prescribed velocity for just one surface however I am still left with the problem of the prescribed velocity overriding the 'free' setting in solid mechanics. The 'free' is overridden by my fixed constraint which is correct as I do not want the fixed constraint to move freely. However I do need to top surface with the prescribed velocity to be able to move. The velocity overriding the 'free' is stopping this from happening. Thanks, Remi

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 31 mars 2017, 13:04 UTC−4
You are contradicting yourself when you say you want to specify velocity but also let it move freely. You can't have both at the same time.

You can specify a load on the top surface to get the top surface to move "freely" but you cannot specify accelerations/velocities/displacements and at the same time expect these boundaries to move freely.

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
You are contradicting yourself when you say you want to specify velocity but also let it move freely. You can't have both at the same time. You can specify a load on the top surface to get the top surface to move "freely" but you cannot specify accelerations/velocities/displacements and at the same time expect these boundaries to move freely. -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 7 years ago 3 avr. 2017, 09:12 UTC−4
I see what you mean. I do want the top surface to move but only in the vertical direction at the rate defined by the velocity. I believe the overriding of the 'free' constraint is stopping the top surface from being able to move downwards in the z direction.

I have been able to achieve my desired effect when I build my geometry in COMSOL, but the problem occurs when I use a geometry imported from Solidworks.

Thanks,
Remi
I see what you mean. I do want the top surface to move but only in the vertical direction at the rate defined by the velocity. I believe the overriding of the 'free' constraint is stopping the top surface from being able to move downwards in the z direction. I have been able to achieve my desired effect when I build my geometry in COMSOL, but the problem occurs when I use a geometry imported from Solidworks. Thanks, Remi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.