Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Out of memory during out-of-core LU factorization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a CFD model with 1056,2892 degrees of freedom and a server with 128GB memory. I assume this memory size is enough for computing the matrix I have now. But I keep getting a error:

Failed to find a solution.
Segregated Step 1
Out of memory during out-of-core LU factorization.
In Segregated Step 1:
Returned solution is not converged.

Even after I checked "out-of-core", it still returns me this error.

Any one has some advice for this please?

Thank you so much!

Best,
Chang

1 Reply Last Post 21 mars 2017, 06:32 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 21 mars 2017, 06:32 UTC−4
Hi,

to my experience "Out of memory" means not the disk memory, but the working memory.
If the disk memory is meant, it is really written "Out of disk memory".

I had both problems and solved it by extending the working memory from 16GB to 32GB and a new hard-drive.

With the new hardware it worked for me.

Or you have to simplify your model. In my case the memory was enough as long as I jused electric potential in my model. Changing this to floating potential, I got the same error message as you. When I got the new working memory the computer managed to solve also the configuration with the floating potential.

Hope this helps you somehow.

Cheers,
Saskia
Hi, to my experience "Out of memory" means not the disk memory, but the working memory. If the disk memory is meant, it is really written "Out of disk memory". I had both problems and solved it by extending the working memory from 16GB to 32GB and a new hard-drive. With the new hardware it worked for me. Or you have to simplify your model. In my case the memory was enough as long as I jused electric potential in my model. Changing this to floating potential, I got the same error message as you. When I got the new working memory the computer managed to solve also the configuration with the floating potential. Hope this helps you somehow. Cheers, Saskia

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.