Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient heat transfer simulation boundary condition not working. Help!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate the thermal effect of a laser welding process. I created a transient Simulation and defined functions to turn the laser on for 10ms and off for 10ms then on again and so forth. Then I created different spots where the heat source should be applyed to with an intensity: 148000000*rect1(t) [W/m^2], 148000000rect2(t),... etc.. When I run the simulation for some reason (which I cannot explain) the laser (heat BC) does not begin with the first spot, it then beginns with the 10th or so spot. As I need the maximum Temp in a specific area skipping welding spots falsifies my solution.

Anyone know why this could be happening?

FYI I used COMSOL with MATLAB to create the model (initial conditoins, boundary conditions and mesh). Then I saved it as a COMSOL file and ran the simulation in COMSOL
Cheers and thank you for your time,

Andreas

2 Replies Last Post 5 déc. 2016, 01:19 UTC−5

Posted: 8 years ago 5 déc. 2016, 00:22 UTC−5
Here the MATLAB file to create the COMSOL files:
Here the MATLAB file to create the COMSOL files:

Posted: 8 years ago 5 déc. 2016, 01:19 UTC−5
Is it possible that you time-stepping in the solver does not match with the laser pulses? That happened to me when I applied a pulsed BC.

BR
Lasse
Is it possible that you time-stepping in the solver does not match with the laser pulses? That happened to me when I applied a pulsed BC. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.