Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to couple two components with two different physics in one model? Fluid structure interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello community!

My 2D model consists of two components and two different physics . The first component is "Solid Mechanics" and the second "Laminar Flow".
Unfortunately, "Fluid Solid Interaction" physics (part of MEMS Toolbox) does not support contact between solids and fluid-solid-interaction at the same boundary, so I would like to implement it by hand.
Is it possible to apply the displacement / velocity of the solid to the boundary of the fluid and provide the stresses (pressure and shear stress) back to the solid?
How can I introduce a moving mesh (ALE) for both components/physics?
Are there some tutorials on that topic available?

Many thanks in advance

Alexander

1 Reply Last Post 28 nov. 2016, 11:57 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 28 nov. 2016, 11:57 UTC−5
Hello Alexander,
The moving mesh interfaces do not support topological changes, but this blog entry presents an alternative:
www.comsol.com/blogs/tips-using-wall-distance-interface/
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Alexander, The moving mesh interfaces do not support topological changes, but this blog entry presents an alternative: www.comsol.com/blogs/tips-using-wall-distance-interface/ Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.