Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

motion and cooling of a hot object inside a domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I am currently trying to simulate the transaltional motion of a hot object (square) through a domain (rectangle) and the cooling after it reaches a certain point in the domain. For this I use Deformed Geometry with Coefficient Form Boundary and Heat Transfer in Solids. The initial temperature is set to the room temperatrue (T=293.15[K]) and just the right side (BC) of the square is set up to (T=350[K]).

I have tried two different methods, but both of them doens't work as I wish.

Method 1: I defined a piecewise function to control the motion, so the square stops at the point I want it to stop and stays there. And a second piecewise function which multiplies the BC with 1 as long the squre moves and with 0 after that.

Method 2: I setted up two studies. In the first study I calculated the movement and in the second the cooling. So I calculated the movement, disabled the BC at the right side of the square (T=350[K]), took the last time step from the first study as initial condition for the second study and started this with the same physics.

The both methods failure and returned very non-physical results and I really do not see the reason for. I will appreciate any help. A .mph file where the second method was aplied can be find in the attachement.

Best regards,
Antoni Artinov

0 Replies Last Post 28 oct. 2016, 06:15 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Antoni Artinov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.