Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass source boundary condition

Claudia Luiza Manfredi Gasparovic

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a chemical reactor in which one species enters the reactor at the inlet (inflow boundary condition), and the other is generated in baffles that are inside the reactor.
The species generated in the baffles is supposed to disperse in the reactor, mainly through the flow (convection).
I am not sure which boundary condition to use in order to model this second species. It would be like a mass source condition but I only found this for lines and points, and in this case it would be a surface.

I though the most likely condition to be the right one was Flux. Is that right?

I tried to simulate a time dependent and also stationary studies of only this species, with a Flux condition and a rate of species production, and water flowing through the inlet. However it did not work. The results show that the only areas in which the species exist are the baffles. It did not disperse along the reactor. The value for the species diffusion was set at the default value for the material water.

What could be wrong?

Thank you very much.

2 Replies Last Post 17 févr. 2017, 11:01 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Claudia Luiza Manfredi Gasparovic

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago 17 févr. 2017, 05:50 UTC−5
Did you manage to solve it??

I am facing the similar issue

Regards
NIve
Did you manage to solve it?? I am facing the similar issue Regards NIve

Claudia Luiza Manfredi Gasparovic

Posted: 7 years ago 17 févr. 2017, 11:01 UTC−5
Hello,

I think so, but it's been a while.

From what I recall, it is indeed the Flux boundary condition that should be used.
I tried again in another (more recent) version for the software and it worked this time.

What version are you using?

Regards
Claudia
Hello, I think so, but it's been a while. From what I recall, it is indeed the Flux boundary condition that should be used. I tried again in another (more recent) version for the software and it worked this time. What version are you using? Regards Claudia

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.