Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to couple two physics for linear magnetostriction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Researchers,
I am trying to implement linear magnetostriction in comsol as suggested in this link: www.comsol.com/paper/coupled-structural-and-magnetic-models-linear-magnetostriction-in-comsol-6357.
I am trying to couple both magnetic field (mf) module and solid mechanics (solid) module in comsol 5.1.

Now my problems are:
(1) I want to include the strain dependent magnetic field term in the AC/DC module. I was trying to include that strain dependent term in the initial field description as:
A = (-lambda_s*solid.eXX*x + lambda_s*solid.eYY*y)*z_hat so that I would have a strain dependent magnetic field. Is there any better way to include that strain dependent magnetic field term?

(2) Secondly, I have a magnetic field dependent initial strain term in the solid mechanics physics module. But the problem is, I want to couple this physics together, how can I do that? It seems that comsol is always solving the magnetic filed calculation first and then solving the solid mechanics physics.

I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Thank you.
Khalid

7 Replies Last Post 4 mai 2017, 02:01 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 08:15 UTC−4
Hello Khalid,
In version 5.2a, there is a ready-made interface for magnetostriction in the Structural Mechanics Module:
www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Khalid, In version 5.2a, there is a ready-made interface for magnetostriction in the Structural Mechanics Module: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 16:23 UTC−4
Hello Jeff,
Thank you very much for your reply. Right now I have only access to comsol 5.1, and I want to couple those two physics (solid mechanics and magnetic field). Both depends on the other. Would you please tell me how can I do that?
Hello Jeff, Thank you very much for your reply. Right now I have only access to comsol 5.1, and I want to couple those two physics (solid mechanics and magnetic field). Both depends on the other. Would you please tell me how can I do that?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 16:55 UTC−4
Frankly, my suggestion would be for you to first investigate whether 5.2a does what you want or not. If it does, I would say it is rarely worth it to reinvent the wheel, but if you do choose to (or have to) go that route there are plenty of examples in the documentation and application libraries showing how to couple physics, including two-way couplings.
Best,
Jeff
Frankly, my suggestion would be for you to first investigate whether 5.2a does what you want or not. If it does, I would say it is rarely worth it to reinvent the wheel, but if you do choose to (or have to) go that route there are plenty of examples in the documentation and application libraries showing how to couple physics, including two-way couplings. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 17:18 UTC−4
Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your time to answer my queries. Thanks again.

Khalid
Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your time to answer my queries. Thanks again. Khalid

Posted: 7 years ago 3 mai 2017, 03:09 UTC−4
Updated: 7 years ago 3 mai 2017, 03:14 UTC−4

Dear Researchers,
I am trying to implement linear magnetostriction in comsol as suggested in this link: www.comsol.com/paper/coupled-structural-and-magnetic-models-linear-magnetostriction-in-comsol-6357.
I am trying to couple both magnetic field (mf) module and solid mechanics (solid) module in comsol 5.1.

Now my problems are:
(1) I want to include the strain dependent magnetic field term in the AC/DC module. I was trying to include that strain dependent term in the initial field description as:
A = (-lambda_s*solid.eXX*x + lambda_s*solid.eYY*y)*z_hat so that I would have a strain dependent magnetic field. Is there any better way to include that strain dependent magnetic field term?

(2) Secondly, I have a magnetic field dependent initial strain term in the solid mechanics physics module. But the problem is, I want to couple this physics together, how can I do that? It seems that comsol is always solving the magnetic filed calculation first and then solving the solid mechanics physics.

I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Thank you.
Khalid

[QUOTE] Dear Researchers, I am trying to implement linear magnetostriction in comsol as suggested in this link: https://www.comsol.com/paper/coupled-structural-and-magnetic-models-linear-magnetostriction-in-comsol-6357. I am trying to couple both magnetic field (mf) module and solid mechanics (solid) module in comsol 5.1. Now my problems are: (1) I want to include the strain dependent magnetic field term in the AC/DC module. I was trying to include that strain dependent term in the initial field description as: A = (-lambda_s*solid.eXX*x + lambda_s*solid.eYY*y)*z_hat so that I would have a strain dependent magnetic field. Is there any better way to include that strain dependent magnetic field term? (2) Secondly, I have a magnetic field dependent initial strain term in the solid mechanics physics module. But the problem is, I want to couple this physics together, how can I do that? It seems that comsol is always solving the magnetic filed calculation first and then solving the solid mechanics physics. I am eagerly waiting for your response. Thank you. Khalid [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago 3 mai 2017, 03:31 UTC−4
Dear 建 韩
Thank you very much, Would you please give me the references for these equations?

Thank you.
Khalid
Dear 建 韩 Thank you very much, Would you please give me the references for these equations? Thank you. Khalid

Posted: 7 years ago 4 mai 2017, 02:01 UTC−4

Dear 建 韩
Thank you very much, Would you please give me the references for these equations?

Thank you.
Khalid

equations from link:xueshu.baidu.com/s?wd=paperuri%3A%28af5cc5306c98dfdaa9a54c6f5f90cbe6%29&filter=sc_long_sign&tn=SE_xueshusource_2kduw22v&sc_vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fscitation.aip.org%2Fcontent%2Faip%2Fjournal%2Fadva%2F5%2F10%2F10.1063%2F1.4933024&ie=utf-8&sc_us=3376686374987317399

Can you contact me QQ 383156448 I'am from china
We can talk more about it
[QUOTE] Dear 建 韩 Thank you very much, Would you please give me the references for these equations? Thank you. Khalid [/QUOTE] equations from link:http://xueshu.baidu.com/s?wd=paperuri%3A%28af5cc5306c98dfdaa9a54c6f5f90cbe6%29&filter=sc_long_sign&tn=SE_xueshusource_2kduw22v&sc_vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fscitation.aip.org%2Fcontent%2Faip%2Fjournal%2Fadva%2F5%2F10%2F10.1063%2F1.4933024&ie=utf-8&sc_us=3376686374987317399 Can you contact me QQ 383156448 I'am from china We can talk more about it

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.