Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF module - photonic structure adsorbance question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to run a simulation to compliment my experimental results. However, I could use some help in getting my simulation results to make sense. If you look at the picture attached, I have two layers in the structure, labeled as 1 and 2. Layer 1 is an absorbing layer with an imaginary refractive index. Layer 2 is a partially disordered photonic layer that will scatter light. Electromagnetic wave is impinging at 90 degree from the bottom. I like to know the absorbance of layer 1 with and without the photonic layer.

With layer 1 only (photonic layer disabled), it has the absorbance I expected. With the photonic layer only (layer 1 disabled), it works fine as a scattering layer – 70% reflection and 30% transmission. With both layer together, one would expect the absorbance of layer 1 to go down since light will get scattered in the photonic layer, but I got higher absorbance instead.

The bottom boundary is set as port 1 (on), the top boundary is set as port 2 (off). The left and right boundary are perfect electric conductor. I got the reflection and transmission from the S11 and S21 parameters. Does anyone has any suggestion for me? Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Chris

0 Replies Last Post 23 juin 2016, 23:04 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tom Sky

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.