Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different geometry of mesh would affect the value of E field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I simulated the EM wave propagating in the air medium recently. And I found a strange phenomenon that the different geometry of mesh may affect the value of electrical field.

In my model, the EM wave is propagating along the -z direction and the electrical field is in the y direction. The top and bottom surface of model is set as port and the power is 1 W. The boundary condition of model is set as PEC and PMC. As I know, only y component of E field can exist in the model. The x and z component of E field would be zero or very small. After testing, I found that the different geometry of mesh would affect the value of electrical field.
If the geometry of mesh is cubic, the value of y component E field is much larger than x and z component (about 1E11 times). But if the geometry of mesh is free tetrahedral, the value of y component E field is close to the x and z component (about 1E4 times).

I'm confused that why the different geometry of mesh would affect the value of electrical field. I think that it doesn't make sense.
Hope someone can help me. Any reply will be useful to me.
Thanks.

Shih-Yi

1 Reply Last Post 21 juin 2016, 22:42 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 21 juin 2016, 22:42 UTC−4
Here is the .mph file of my simulation.

I'm sorry that the file is too big to attach. So I upload them to the Dropbox.

E field_cubic mesh.mph
www.dropbox.com/s/z25d94b46ej60vm/E%20field_cubic%20mesh.mph?dl=0

E field_tetrahedral mesh.mph
www.dropbox.com/s/tq7pufyn1wgs7s4/E%20field_tetrahedral%20mesh.mph?dl=0
Here is the .mph file of my simulation. I'm sorry that the file is too big to attach. So I upload them to the Dropbox. E field_cubic mesh.mph https://www.dropbox.com/s/z25d94b46ej60vm/E%20field_cubic%20mesh.mph?dl=0 E field_tetrahedral mesh.mph https://www.dropbox.com/s/tq7pufyn1wgs7s4/E%20field_tetrahedral%20mesh.mph?dl=0

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.