Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drawing in COMSOL 4.4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am beginner in COMSOL, I just want to ask how to draw simple shape like rectangle or circle in COMSOL 4.4, in the 3.5 it is easy, I just have to click shift and the rectangle, but I am confused with 4.4.

thank you

6 Replies Last Post 16 juin 2016, 11:37 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 15 juin 2016, 16:37 UTC−4
I would recommend you work through the two tutorials contained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, which you can access through File > Help > Documentation as well as here : www.comsol.com/documentation/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf . These tutorials will take you through the entire workflow and operation of the "new" GUI (It's been 6 years since the release of 4.0 so it's not so new any more, but you get my point. BTW, version 4.4 itself is already quite old and misses important features compared to the latest version; see if your license is eligible for version 5.2, the current version).
Best,
Jeff
I would recommend you work through the two tutorials contained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, which you can access through File > Help > Documentation as well as here : https://www.comsol.com/documentation/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf . These tutorials will take you through the entire workflow and operation of the "new" GUI (It's been 6 years since the release of 4.0 so it's not so new any more, but you get my point. BTW, version 4.4 itself is already quite old and misses important features compared to the latest version; see if your license is eligible for version 5.2, the current version). Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 16 juin 2016, 09:41 UTC−4
thank you Jeff,

yes I can have access on version 5.2. But I am following a simulation done on version 3.5, I just want to understand how he did it then I will do it on the new version. I have a question please, is the Electrostatics in electromagnetics is the same of Electrostatics of MEMS ( in models). in the example that I have ( in Subdomain Settings – Electrostatics) I have this ( Click the Force tab. In the first row enter Fes. The software automatically generates the variables Fes_nTx_emes and Fes_nTy_emes for the electrostatic force components. Later on you use these variables to define the boundary load in the Plane Strain application mode.) but in Version 3.5 I don't have the Force tab so this is why I tried to do it on newer version but I got difficulties in drawing.

thank you
thank you Jeff, yes I can have access on version 5.2. But I am following a simulation done on version 3.5, I just want to understand how he did it then I will do it on the new version. I have a question please, is the Electrostatics in electromagnetics is the same of Electrostatics of MEMS ( in models). in the example that I have ( in Subdomain Settings – Electrostatics) I have this ( Click the Force tab. In the first row enter Fes. The software automatically generates the variables Fes_nTx_emes and Fes_nTy_emes for the electrostatic force components. Later on you use these variables to define the boundary load in the Plane Strain application mode.) but in Version 3.5 I don't have the Force tab so this is why I tried to do it on newer version but I got difficulties in drawing. thank you

Posted: 8 years ago 16 juin 2016, 10:01 UTC−4
Sorry, but I have not used version 3.5a in years.
You can see what capabilities are included in each module at this link: www.comsol.com/products/specifications/
I am afraid that webpage only covers the current version though. For older versions, you'll need to turn to the manuals to determine this.
Best regards,
Jeff
Sorry, but I have not used version 3.5a in years. You can see what capabilities are included in each module at this link: https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/ I am afraid that webpage only covers the current version though. For older versions, you'll need to turn to the manuals to determine this. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 16 juin 2016, 10:51 UTC−4
Thank you Jeff,
what I need is a tutorial of building the model geometry ( all the applications in the library come with models) , so I don't want to import the model geometry, I need to build it by my self. do you have anything than can help me ?

thank you
Thank you Jeff, what I need is a tutorial of building the model geometry ( all the applications in the library come with models) , so I don't want to import the model geometry, I need to build it by my self. do you have anything than can help me ? thank you

Posted: 8 years ago 16 juin 2016, 11:11 UTC−4
The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual that I mentioned and linked to in my earlier posting includes step-by-step instructions on how to build the busbar geometry, see page 137 and following. There is also the more general and extensive Chapter 7 ("Geometry Modeling and CAD Tools") in the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics verison 5.2 as a further resource.
Best regards,
Jeff
The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual that I mentioned and linked to in my earlier posting includes step-by-step instructions on how to build the busbar geometry, see page 137 and following. There is also the more general and extensive Chapter 7 ("Geometry Modeling and CAD Tools") in the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics verison 5.2 as a further resource. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 16 juin 2016, 11:37 UTC−4
Thank you so much, I appreciate it.
best regards
Thank you so much, I appreciate it. best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.