Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Point constriant in Weak Form PDE (elasticity problem)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I try to solve the beam pure bending problem using weak PDE formulation of elasticity. I've got a problem with boundary conditions. The loads are self equilibrated. Therefore I need to eliminate only the rigid body motions. I use the symmetry conditions in the beam axis direction and in the lateral direction (the model is the one quarter of the beam). But I can't find how to eliminate the vertical translation without stress concentration. As I understand it, I need to use the point constraint. But Pointwise Constraint, Weak Constraint or Weak Contribution in the single point don't work (Returned solution is not converged).

Could You help me please!

1 Reply Last Post 9 juin 2016, 04:20 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 9 juin 2016, 04:20 UTC−4
I think I've got it by myself
It should be used the Pointwise constraint for the vertical traslations of the whole edge in the centre of the beam (but not for the single point). And it works now!
I think I've got it by myself It should be used the Pointwise constraint for the vertical traslations of the whole edge in the centre of the beam (but not for the single point). And it works now!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.