Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass absorption

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am modelling a mass diffusion problem in tissue. I need to model absorption of a certain species by cells in the tissue. The cells can absorb a certain amount of the given species before it becomes saturated. My questions are the following:
1) How can I model mass accumulation in the cell?
2) How do I set the saturation limit of the cells?

I am new to COMSOL and would appreciate any help.

Best Regards
Aravind

3 Replies Last Post 31 mai 2016, 16:00 UTC−4

Posted: 8 years ago 27 mai 2016, 01:52 UTC−4
Hi

Adsorption is a tough problem. I did that 5-6 years ago but I could not find the model again, after changing an employer and desktops. But at that time I found a tutorial from this website and followed that; it was done through weak form.

Another choice is that your cells form a domain into which there is flux. Say, the concentration outside the cell domain is c1 and inside it c2. Then define flux across the boundary like this:

In the cell domain:

+kads*c1*(cmax-c2) - kdes*c2

in the exterior of cells

-kads*c1*(cmax-c2) + kdes*c2

This is Langmuir type adsorption as you certainly know.

But if it is only an adsorbed layer on the wall, you'd better resort to the weak form. It takes into account the mass balance but does not require a specific domain.

Wish you find the tutorial.

BR
Lasse
Hi Adsorption is a tough problem. I did that 5-6 years ago but I could not find the model again, after changing an employer and desktops. But at that time I found a tutorial from this website and followed that; it was done through weak form. Another choice is that your cells form a domain into which there is flux. Say, the concentration outside the cell domain is c1 and inside it c2. Then define flux across the boundary like this: In the cell domain: +kads*c1*(cmax-c2) - kdes*c2 in the exterior of cells -kads*c1*(cmax-c2) + kdes*c2 This is Langmuir type adsorption as you certainly know. But if it is only an adsorbed layer on the wall, you'd better resort to the weak form. It takes into account the mass balance but does not require a specific domain. Wish you find the tutorial. BR Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 27 mai 2016, 02:06 UTC−4
This is not the file I used as a tutorial but the best I could find easily. It has the weak form.

Lasse
This is not the file I used as a tutorial but the best I could find easily. It has the weak form. Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 31 mai 2016, 16:00 UTC−4
Thank you Lasse,

I appreciate the help. Will try it out.

BR
Aravind
Thank you Lasse, I appreciate the help. Will try it out. BR Aravind

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.