Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problems with OpenGL and DirectX

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

On my laptop, COMSOL 4.0a won't start with either OpenGL or DirectX in Windows 7 (64-bit). Software rendering works, but I find it too slow in 3D. I've installed the latest Comsol patches and graphics drivers. I have a laptop with the following specs

AMD II X2 2.0 GHz (dual-core)
ATI Mobility Radeon 4200 256 Mb
4 Gb RAM

DirectX 11 is installed, and as I've understood, it should be backward compatible with DirectX 9 which is supported by COMSOL. Has anyone encountered similar problems or is there a solution for this kind of problem? Since I only have a student license, the COMSOL support cannot help me with this problem.

12 Replies Last Post 21 avr. 2016, 14:45 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov. 2010, 13:10 UTC−5
I had the same problem with and ATI card under linux on my workstation and I ultimately swithced for a better supported [ at the os level comsol had nothing to do with it- nvidia graphic card] and now it works like a charm...

I am affraid that short of getting a new laptop [ not sure changing the video card is worth it on a laptop] AND testing it works with comsol before paying for it... there is not a lot of options out there..

but i will be delighted to be proven wrong

also I have ZERO experience with windows 7 ..as stated above this was a linux worstation...

bottom line opengl is not such a clean standard as it looks like apparently that ..[ I am NOT an expert on this but I suffered the pain of SLOOOOOOW software rendering too.
Good luck

JF
I had the same problem with and ATI card under linux on my workstation and I ultimately swithced for a better supported [ at the os level comsol had nothing to do with it- nvidia graphic card] and now it works like a charm... I am affraid that short of getting a new laptop [ not sure changing the video card is worth it on a laptop] AND testing it works with comsol before paying for it... there is not a lot of options out there.. but i will be delighted to be proven wrong also I have ZERO experience with windows 7 ..as stated above this was a linux worstation... bottom line opengl is not such a clean standard as it looks like apparently that ..[ I am NOT an expert on this but I suffered the pain of SLOOOOOOW software rendering too. Good luck JF

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 déc. 2010, 11:28 UTC−5
Recently, I installed comsol 4.1 on windows 7 64bit.

Hardware: Dell T7500, 96GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 5000(driver:latest version)

However, when OpenGL is selected, the graphic windows shows black background only so that I couldn't do anything since opened models are not seen.

DirectX seems OK.

Currently, I have no time to see my problem in detail.
Soon, I will checkit again, and say the status again.

Recently, I installed comsol 4.1 on windows 7 64bit. Hardware: Dell T7500, 96GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 5000(driver:latest version) However, when OpenGL is selected, the graphic windows shows black background only so that I couldn't do anything since opened models are not seen. DirectX seems OK. Currently, I have no time to see my problem in detail. Soon, I will checkit again, and say the status again.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 févr. 2011, 20:00 UTC−5
I just bought the same config:

Hardware: Dell T7500, 96GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 5000(driver:latest version)

and i am having the same problems!!

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you,
I just bought the same config: Hardware: Dell T7500, 96GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 5000(driver:latest version) and i am having the same problems!! Does anyone have a solution? Thank you,

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 févr. 2011, 00:23 UTC−5
I uptated comsol using recent update2.
But OpenGL doesn't work yet in Windows 7.

Recently, I additionally installed Ubuntu 10.10 version in the same computer.
Windows7 and Ubuntu10.10 runs OK without problem.
COMSOL linux version also works good with OpenGL option in Ubuntu using trial license obtained from my software agent.

So, I am planning to tranfer to Ubuntu Linux for COMSOL since my first 1 year warranty period is not ended.
Though Ubuntu is not officially supported by COMSOL, it's easy to use and no problem in my computer.
I uptated comsol using recent update2. But OpenGL doesn't work yet in Windows 7. Recently, I additionally installed Ubuntu 10.10 version in the same computer. Windows7 and Ubuntu10.10 runs OK without problem. COMSOL linux version also works good with OpenGL option in Ubuntu using trial license obtained from my software agent. So, I am planning to tranfer to Ubuntu Linux for COMSOL since my first 1 year warranty period is not ended. Though Ubuntu is not officially supported by COMSOL, it's easy to use and no problem in my computer. .

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 févr. 2011, 03:33 UTC−5
Hi

there must be adriver issue, I have no problems on my CetOS-V / Win 7 dual boot Intel based workstation

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there must be adriver issue, I have no problems on my CetOS-V / Win 7 dual boot Intel based workstation -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 févr. 2011, 09:45 UTC−5
Dear Ivar,

I am in the process of accuiring a new laptop for my work. Could you indicate what type of brand the laptop is and which graphics card is installed?

Best regards,

Henk van Weers
SRON
Dear Ivar, I am in the process of accuiring a new laptop for my work. Could you indicate what type of brand the laptop is and which graphics card is installed? Best regards, Henk van Weers SRON

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 févr. 2011, 10:48 UTC−5
Hi

it's not a laptop, in my case its an Intel based board (S5520SCR) workstation with two X5680 cpus and a 1kW power supply (a real helocopter when it really starts to work ;) and a Nvidia Quadro FX1800 graphics cad and two 24" screens. Operating in dial boot Win-7 and Centos 5, depending if we need Solidworks or not ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it's not a laptop, in my case its an Intel based board (S5520SCR) workstation with two X5680 cpus and a 1kW power supply (a real helocopter when it really starts to work ;) and a Nvidia Quadro FX1800 graphics cad and two 24" screens. Operating in dial boot Win-7 and Centos 5, depending if we need Solidworks or not ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2011, 10:24 UTC−5
It was an Nvidia driver problem.
New latest version driver works OK using OPENGL.
It was an Nvidia driver problem. New latest version driver works OK using OPENGL.

Posted: 8 years ago 13 févr. 2016, 18:36 UTC−5
Solved. You don't need to change the laptop. Since comsol use openGL as default, but some computer hase different like Dirext X graphic.

Do this.

1) File
2) Preference
3) Graphics and plot windows
4) Visualization
5) Rendering, Change form openGL to Dirext X9

Solved.

Tried two versions, 5.0 and 5.2 Both worked!
Solved. You don't need to change the laptop. Since comsol use openGL as default, but some computer hase different like Dirext X graphic. Do this. 1) File 2) Preference 3) Graphics and plot windows 4) Visualization 5) Rendering, Change form openGL to Dirext X9 Solved. Tried two versions, 5.0 and 5.2 Both worked!

Posted: 8 years ago 2 avr. 2016, 20:18 UTC−4
Thanks a lot Alex Zhang,

Now, it is perfectly working
Thanks a lot Alex Zhang, Now, it is perfectly working

Posted: 8 years ago 21 avr. 2016, 12:49 UTC−4
Thank you Alex!
Thank you Alex!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 21 avr. 2016, 14:45 UTC−4
For future readers of this thread, see www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/933/ for more information on this topic.
Best,
Jeff
For future readers of this thread, see https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/933/ for more information on this topic. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.