Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with NASTRAN mesh import -> automatically assign explicits in geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, thanks for reading this,

I was wondering if I could get help with mesh loading. What I currently do with my simulations is take a mesh of the lungs and airways, and assign boundary conditions based on the outlets of the airways. Up until this point, I manually hit every one of the airway endpoints because I didn't have expansive airways and I didn't know how to automate this process. Not, I'm beginning to have problems since my airway tree can have thousands of endpoints I need to set BC's for in COMSOL.

What I do with my import mesh is I bring a NASTRAN I made in ANSYS ICEM CFD, and the NASTRAN file already has zones for the airways (surface and volume), airway endpoints, part of airways (surface), inlet (surface), combined with a lung parenchyma (surface and volume). When I import my NASTRAN, though, I can see the volumes get preserved because I can target each volume individually. What doesn't happen are any of the surfaces getting preserved, and that means I had to do it manually until now.

Is there a way to automate this process? Thanks for the advice!

1 Reply Last Post 4 août 2016, 12:10 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Brian Henry

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 4 août 2016, 12:10 UTC−4
Hello Brian,

I am working on the modelizing of lungs and i didn't found a geometry of lungs that I can import on Comsol.

How do you have done to create a mesh of the lungs ?

Could you send me your mesh of the lungs ?

Thanks

Best Regards.
Hello Brian, I am working on the modelizing of lungs and i didn't found a geometry of lungs that I can import on Comsol. How do you have done to create a mesh of the lungs ? Could you send me your mesh of the lungs ? Thanks Best Regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.