Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Counting particles by inlet; Particle tracing in laminar flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol community!

I'm simulating a simple 4-way intersection using the laminar flow module. Two streets are inflows and two are outflows. Thereafter I'm adding particles to each input flow with the particle tracing for fluid flow module to trace how many of the particles coming from inflow 1 ends up in outflow 1 and 2 respectively, and vice versa for inflow 2.

My problem is that I can only count the total number of particles in each outflow and I can't find a way to distinguish were each particle is coming form.
I would really like to do this without exporting to MatLab or similar since I plan on doing a semi-large parametric sweep over different intersection geometries and I don't want to fiddle around with MatLab scripts, counting particle IDs, for each case.

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely Linus Olofsson

2 Replies Last Post 18 mars 2016, 06:30 UTC−4
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 17 mars 2016, 17:20 UTC−4
Hi Linus, the functionality available for particle tracing in V4.4 is very basic compared to what's available in our latest version, V5.2. I recently wrote a blog on different ways of counting particles:
www.comsol.com/blogs/different-ways-to-count-particles-in-comsol-multiphysics/

It appears that your problem could be solved using the Particle Counter feature introduced in V5.2. I would recommend updating to that version.

Dan
Hi Linus, the functionality available for particle tracing in V4.4 is very basic compared to what's available in our latest version, V5.2. I recently wrote a blog on different ways of counting particles: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/different-ways-to-count-particles-in-comsol-multiphysics/ It appears that your problem could be solved using the Particle Counter feature introduced in V5.2. I would recommend updating to that version. Dan

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 06:30 UTC−4
Thank you for the quick answer!

I will see what possibilities I have of upgrading the Comsol software I'm using, as I'm using a student licence at my University. I will deal with it now that I know of a solution!
Thank you for the quick answer! I will see what possibilities I have of upgrading the Comsol software I'm using, as I'm using a student licence at my University. I will deal with it now that I know of a solution!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.