Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Post-buckling study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I was working on post buckling study. The geometry is a cylinder with internal mass connected by beams, the buckling point should be when the internal mass start to rotate(so the beams buckled)
I have two questions with it now
1. What is the most important thing I need to define in the solver to make sure the continuation.
2. For the stop condition, what variable can I define to express the internal mass rotation. I tried to use displacement of a point on beam, but it shows error that the solution is not converged.
Anyone can help me with it?
Thanks!!!

3 Replies Last Post 9 mars 2016, 12:12 UTC−5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 9 mars 2016, 02:17 UTC−5
Hi,

Start by taking a look at this model

www.comsol.com/model/postbuckling-analysis-of-a-hinged-cylindrical-shell-10257

where you can see how to set up the Continuation solver.

It is also discussed in this blog post:

www.comsol.se/blogs/buckling-structures-suddenly-collapse/

The stop condition is not necessary. It just reduces the computation time since you do not need to spend a lot of iterations far out in the nonlinear regime. It will not in itself be the cause of non-convergence.

Regards,
Henrik

Hi, Start by taking a look at this model http://www.comsol.com/model/postbuckling-analysis-of-a-hinged-cylindrical-shell-10257 where you can see how to set up the Continuation solver. It is also discussed in this blog post: https://www.comsol.se/blogs/buckling-structures-suddenly-collapse/ The stop condition is not necessary. It just reduces the computation time since you do not need to spend a lot of iterations far out in the nonlinear regime. It will not in itself be the cause of non-convergence. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 9 mars 2016, 11:22 UTC−5
Hi,

Thank you for your help.
The model you mentioned is what I practiced with. But what I found in the solver is the stop condition and clear the reaction force check box. Doing the later one didn't show me anything interesting in my model. That's why I started to think about the stop condition.
Did I miss anything that might relative to the continuation solver?

Many thanks.
Hi, Thank you for your help. The model you mentioned is what I practiced with. But what I found in the solver is the stop condition and clear the reaction force check box. Doing the later one didn't show me anything interesting in my model. That's why I started to think about the stop condition. Did I miss anything that might relative to the continuation solver? Many thanks.

Posted: 8 years ago 9 mars 2016, 12:12 UTC−5
By the way, the load applied to the model is a displacement normal to the cylinder. I defined the sweep parameter as the displacement. To show the results, I did a 1-D plot for a point on one of those beams, point displacement vs. displacement applied on the model. But it just show me a linear line.
By the way, the load applied to the model is a displacement normal to the cylinder. I defined the sweep parameter as the displacement. To show the results, I did a 1-D plot for a point on one of those beams, point displacement vs. displacement applied on the model. But it just show me a linear line.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.