Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics: How to model a conductor in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I am trying to simulate a very simple system. I have two metal plates with a gap between them, placed in a box of "Air". One plate has a potential of 4000 V and the other is at 0 V. When I apply the material "Copper" to the plates from the library, the relative permittivity of it is given by default as 1. On simulating this I get very high potential all through the air box of around 2000 V except at the plates which is a gradient. And when I set the relative permittivity to 10e10 (very high value), I get zero potential through the box except at the high potential plate where there is a gradient.

So my question is: What is the correct way to model a conductor? How do you deal with the permittivity default value?

Thanks!

-Shagun

0 Replies Last Post 4 févr. 2016, 14:32 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shagun Maheshwari

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.