Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to obtain the unit $\mu$

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a simple/stupid/quick (pick the good one) question for Comsol 4.0(a).

I want to use the symbol ? in my legend (or unit while computing). Of course I can specify it in the geometry (?m), but after, everything is in meter.

How should I do to obtain the symbol corresponding to micro- ?

Best regards

3 Replies Last Post 13 oct. 2010, 08:01 UTC−4
Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 oct. 2010, 06:33 UTC−4
Ok, I will reply to myself for the legends :

I just had to write "\mu".

the trick doesn't work in expression though... so if someone has an answer...
Ok, I will reply to myself for the legends : I just had to write "\mu". the trick doesn't work in expression though... so if someone has an answer...

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 oct. 2010, 07:31 UTC−4
There are several options here:

- Some keyboards have µ as a special character that you access with the AltGr button (on the M key, for example). You can then specify a dimension as 4.5[µm], for example.

- You can replace µ with u as an SI prefix for "micro" in units, so 4.5[um] works fine, too.

- For the geometry you can use µm as the length unit. COMSOL then interprets all numbers that you enter for the geometry as micrometers unless you explicitly specify the unit.

Hope this helps,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
There are several options here: - Some keyboards have µ as a special character that you access with the AltGr button (on the M key, for example). You can then specify a dimension as 4.5[µm], for example. - You can replace µ with u as an SI prefix for "micro" in units, so 4.5[um] works fine, too. - For the geometry you can use µm as the length unit. COMSOL then interprets all numbers that you enter for the geometry as micrometers unless you explicitly specify the unit. Hope this helps, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 oct. 2010, 08:01 UTC−4
Thank you very much for your answer Magnus.
Thank you very much for your answer Magnus.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.