Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress Error.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Sir, I have taken a multi-layer cantilever. but when I try to calculate the stress, there is some error occurring. I want to know why the max. stress is not on upper layer? I attached a pic. please check it out.

1 Reply Last Post 15 janv. 2016, 08:51 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 15 janv. 2016, 08:51 UTC−5
It is very common for high stresses to be present at the interface between two materials. Consider two isotropic materials with different Young's moduli. Since the tangential components of the strain tensor are continuous at an interface, the stress tensor is all but guaranteed to be discontinuous.

Of course, this does not mean that you necessarily set up your model file correctly - simply that it's not impossible at all that you set it up fine. Please post your .mph file and explain in more detail what you were trying to model if you would like Forum users to comment in greater depth.
Best,
Jeff
It is very common for high stresses to be present at the interface between two materials. Consider two isotropic materials with different Young's moduli. Since the tangential components of the strain tensor are continuous at an interface, the stress tensor is all but guaranteed to be discontinuous. Of course, this does not mean that you necessarily set up your model file correctly - simply that it's not impossible at all that you set it up fine. Please post your .mph file and explain in more detail what you were trying to model if you would like Forum users to comment in greater depth. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.